Linked Events

• Nov 2010 Sticky Weekend: November 27, 2010 - November 28, 2010

Author Topic: 2010 Sticky Weekend  (Read 15772 times)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: 2010 Sticky Weekend
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:16 AM »
Think so. Small quantity. It will be good to go and have a look!

W

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 08:11:19 PM »
thanks everyone, particularily phil, for the help today. Im gutted i cant be there tommorrow, have fun unwrapping my boom, pole and gantry, hope it goes well!!!
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Hi John,

The gantry came out nicely.  The concept of removing the mould from the gantryworked very well and required no force.  It needs trimming and probably a bit of carbon plate to thicken up were the rudder pin and gantry pivots go through.

The boom came off the madrel with some help of the fork lift. In areas the uni looks at bit dry in the side walls of the boom. The boom weighed in at 870grams. Using the spreadsheet and knowing what cloth we used it should weigh 910 grams. We achieved 23% resin by weight. The target is about 30%.

My mistake was not suggesting that we wet out the uni on both sides before putting these layers on.

To rectify this I intend to sand down the boom to remove the peal ply release agent and open any other dry areas. Then with Roland's help I will vac a further layer of uni and weave to finish it off. Vacum bagging may get more resin to penetrate any remaining dry areas. This should result in a boom that is as strong as intended in all areas and possibly stronger in others.

The pole appears to be be better but we could not remove it from the mandrel. The problem could be due to the tape reacting with the release wax. An issue I was not familiar with. Again Roland has offered to try to remove it by aplying some heat.
Not the ideal result but certainly not an unsalvageable failure.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
A stick up on a spar is far from unheard of. Careful dremel work all the way down one side has resulted in successful spars before now!

Sorry could not make it.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »
phil, do you want the carbon back then?? i can send it if you want
also, ill assume the forward section of the boom was ok?? it seemed fully wetted out?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:37:48 PM by john_hamilton »
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
I'll let you know john,

The forward part of the boom was ok and had a good ring to it.

We may have to cut the pole off but we will try all other options before this.

The boom and the gantry have been in the warm for another 24 hour and are much stiffer than they were on Sunday morning. 

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
by cut off do you mean dremel a line lenghtways, prize it off, then re-build the surrouding layup?? i.e. what some people do with rudder stocks?

roland_trim

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
Cut inline with the uni-s, probably only need to be baked for a bit to get the wax to soften.