Author Topic: Moth Wing Sails  (Read 17174 times)

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Moth Wing Sails
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »
The interesting thing Neil is that they told you. The prosecution rests.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
Aye.

In London you get a thing called 'the-best-goddam-fun-money-can-buy'. This is when stressed out city types, back from a hard day being very well paid for failing to do the impossible (this is really true), want to spray cash about to help them forget what happened to their dreams of contributing towards a better world (this probably isn't true). What it is seems unimportant. That it is really expensive is the vital part.

Offline dave_roe

• Newb
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:29 PM »
Ah nothing better than philosophy Friday.  No better than a psychiatrist to philosophise - wise words Will.  But try reading that sentance five time when drunk!
The physics GCSE comments reminded me.  I attended an all boys school with an intake of 90 pupils per year.  In my year 80 of those took physics A level let alone GCSE.  I'm guessing that's quite unusual.   :D

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »
That it is really expensive is the vital part.
This is of course just a high budget version of retail therapy where the spending of money is the main sense of satisfaction... Contrary to popular opinion its not strictly confined to the fair sex... Whilst it would be fair to say that I am not greatly tempted by clothes shops, put me in a second hand bookshop - preferably the now rare type which consists of a bunch of 18th C houses knocked together with short staircases, multiple levels, little corridors leading nowhere and  books everywhere, books catalogued, books not, books on shelves, books in piles in corners, books smelling slightly of neglected country houses books... [breaks off to go and have a lie down]. Ahh Thorpes Bookshop in Guildford, long gone now, happy memories. I'd do all my Christmas shopping in there! And I'm not sure I didn't spend a higher perecentage of *my* disposable income in there than the city boys do of theirs...
an intake of 90 pupils per year.  In my year 80 of those took physics A level let alone GCSE.  I'm guessing that's quite unusual.

I would think so Don't think it was much above 60 out of 90 at my school. Of course some of them got better grades than others of us did.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:27:18 PM by JimC »

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:40 AM »
I heard an interesting statistic yesterday. 1 in 200 people is a millionaire. People with money always find ways to spend it.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »
Humm!

Should we be reconsidering how we market cherubs then. 

new strap line:

Big grins, no bollocks!

Could get taken the wrong way by some, but stands out from all the high tech type marketing that everyone else goes for.  Following Jim's point that few who sail ever had a grasp of physics and if they did, have now forgotton most of it, it does seem stupid to try and sell it with that emphasis. 

However what ever sells stuff to the unknowing is probably the best policy.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »
Should we be reconsidering how we market cherubs then.  
new strap line:
Big grins, no bollocks!
A while ago I did tried to do some correlation of popularity of asymmetric classes (in terms of champs turnouts) with various attributes of the classes. It turned up just one significant factor: size of Champs fleet seems to be very well matched with the percentage of women sailing in the class, but nothing else (performance, number of strings, weight, you name it) had any kind of relationship at all. So targeting one's marketing to those lacking said appendages would seem to be a very good call.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:17:23 PM by JimC »

roland_trim

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
Big grins, no boll*cks!

I think the winner of the bumper sticker has just been announced....

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
This kind of thing?