Author Topic: reading material  (Read 12237 times)

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
reading material
« on: February 20, 2009, 02:07:26 AM »
Do any of you have any reading for an over enthusiastic acoustic engineer who might one day like to design his own boat? I know it is still early days for me, having mot even sailed FS but I figured reading and aspiration can do no harm!

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: reading material
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
You are up late!

You are in good company being an acoustic engineer in this fleet.

"High Performance Sailing" by Frank Bethwaite is a good start. The first third about the weather is v hard.

"Aerohydrodynamics of Sailing" by Tony Marchaj may be out of print. but ebay may provide.

The other thing to do is to ask people you respect questions and try to work it all out for yourself. Watch out though: There are many people (some of whom are v good sailors) who have completely the wrong idea about how sailing boats work! The giveaway is if they give you an explanation that can't possibly be true. Your challenge is to work backwards from the thing they are telling you to the thing they observed, and then work out what is really happening.

In the meantime, here is one for you:

Lee bow efffect.

This has nothing to do with 'lee-bowing' someone. This is when you are beating against the tide, but the tide is about 45degs fromthe wind. That is, on one tack it is pushing you down, but on the other tack it is pretty much on the nose. If there was no tide, then clearly you should do your normal angle. Lee bow theory says you should pinch a bit so the tide is on your lee bow when you are punching the tide, that way the tide is pushing you up to the buoy. Opinions differ about this http://www.ussailing.org/member/library/wiodcurrent.htm . Dave Perry (author of "winning in one designs" says no : http://www.j105.org/docs/noleebow.pdf.

Anyway, my experience says it certainly seems to be there, and many people swear by it. I have an explanation which is quite boring. What's your theory?

Offline Ben Howett

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:13:40 PM »
High Performance sailing can be a bit hard to digest if you try to read any large amound of it in one go - It took a couple of years at uni before I really felt happy about sitting down and reading it.

Paul Larsons 'Principles of Yacht design' is definantly a good bet If you want an ouline of pretty much everything that goes into yacht design - Its not hugely detailed but its very easy to understand and covers a lot of material.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
There is a new version of "High Performance Sailing" called I think "Higher Performance Sailing" which apparantly has a lot of new stuff about the 29er and 49er it only came out last year there are quite a few versions of the old one so watch what you get. I read the old one and it is V good, some bits are quite hard and the weather stuff makes my head hurt but it is one of the only books I have seen that mostly looks at fast dinghys rather than yachts.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

roland_trim

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »
I'd highly recommend the works of Christopher Brookmyre. Start with "The Sacred Art of Stealing" which describes some excellent ways to transport a boat once you have finished. Leave enough time to read the first two chapters in one hit as the first one is highly technical (and in foul Scottish).

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:51:24 AM »
Personally I like the Hitchhikers guide.
It's not Kafka but it makes me smile and realise things could be worse.
Clearly better than the Trial, if you use the number of boat names to arise from the pages test.
Which in my mind makes it a far more inspirational read.
Maybe we should have a winter Cherub book club for all the time we are waiting for the reson to cure.