Author Topic: Quick introduction.  (Read 16419 times)

MattPurdon

Quick introduction.
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »
Evening all, not sure how things go on here, but i thought introducing myself would be a good start!

My name's Matt, i've been sailing since i could walk and have loved every minute of it! Started off competitive sailing in my little RS Feva in 2004 (i think), went all over the country/ world in it and was always wanting to take it out in silly winds and just go as fast as possible - not that you can go very fast in a Feva :P

Chopped and changed drivers quite a bit, and always wanted something bigger, scarier and faster! Moved into an RS 500 with my friend Bertie (some of you might remember him from a blast weekend a few years ago - he sends his love) had alot of things go on and people give up sailing completely (mentalists) and haven't really sailed an awful lot for the past year or two, just going out as ballast on the bigger boats at Thorpe Bay, pulling a few ropes and hitching a ride wherever possible. Been playing about in 500s, 800s, 29ers, 49ers, even had a brief go in an 18 (never been so scared in my life) you get the idea! So i've got used to having my arms pulled through blocks and going swimming these past few years!

I've always had a thing for Cherubs, even when i was sailing Fevas. Spent a weekend at the dinghy show drooling over a freshly built Atum Bom, wondering what the hell it was and how to go about getting one. We went to a blast weekend in 2007 with young Bertie and was absolutely hooked! Carried on sailing the RS500, always lusting over the big-sailed, slightly too-short-to-be-sensible boats until we had a killer training session and he decided to give up sailing all thogether :(

Moving onto why i'm here, I last sailed a Cherub when i was about 5'5" and weighed only 50kgs, which was brilliant fun but not exactly easy! I've grown a bit (slight understatement) over the past two years and am currently 73kgs and 6'2". Got a new driver on the go who shares my love for Cherubs, so it was recommended to me at this year's Dinghy show that I headed on here and offered my crewing services to anyone who may need it, until my current helm and I do the RS500 Europeans, sell up and move into this class.

So if anyone needs a crew of the aforementioned dimensions, willing to pull strings, shout a bit and hold on tight, i'm here! Also, i'm a good swimmer - great Cherubbing quality!

Hope to see you all at Rutland!
Matt

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
Re: Quick introduction.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:46:29 PM »
Hi Matt,

Keen a mustard I see! If you turn up your guaranteed a ride. You've defs. got one in my boat if it's ready (which it should be!).
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
Hello mate,

Welcome to Cherub "World". Well done for finding the forum, I'm sure this will be a great start to Cherub sailing.

Where do you live? And what are your transport options?

Cheers
Stu

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:38:17 PM »
What happened to Bertie? Golf? Knitting? Mcrame? Jigsaws?

We can def sort you out with a ride at Rutland.

MattPurdon

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
Where do you live? And what are your transport options?

Cheers
Stu
Currently based in Essex, got a fairly supportive dad who's more than happy to cruise around the country, so i can get a lift to and from most places, and could always meet people halfway between somewhere and wherever the clan is going!

We can def sort you out with a ride at Rutland.
Not sure really, had a pretty savage training session at Grafham in alot of wind and snow, the day after he decided to give it up all together! I think me getting KO'd by the boom, saving him from a dunking and generally mad conditions may have contributed to it.

Still see a bit of him, but last i heard, he's getting dragged around the shores by a large kite with a plank of wood strapped to his feet.

Matt

roland_trim

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:06:03 PM »

I was trying to work our what hobbie "Bertie" was ::)

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 07:42:48 PM »
You and your helm are welcome to Flat Stanley if you can make it to Southampton. I, like you am keen to get involved with the class but haven't had the chance due to a boat restoration (if you can call it that). I did get to sail it for an hour until I broke something!  I have just had the mast ram fixed by a bloke in Southampton who didn't charge me which was nice so the boat will be ready to go soon. But if you fancy teaching me to sail sometime you are more than welcome. My crew is an aspiring medic and doesnt have a huge amount of time on his hands!   

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:24:59 AM »
I have just had the mast ram fixed by a bloke in Southampton who didn't charge me   

This is the power of Flat Stanley.

MattPurdon

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
You and your helm are welcome to Flat Stanley if you can make it to Southampton. I, like you am keen to get involved with the class but haven't had the chance due to a boat restoration (if you can call it that). I did get to sail it for an hour until I broke something!  I have just had the mast ram fixed by a bloke in Southampton who didn't charge me which was nice so the boat will be ready to go soon. But if you fancy teaching me to sail sometime you are more than welcome. My crew is an aspiring medic and doesnt have a huge amount of time on his hands!   
Cheers for the offer! My helm lives in Worthing and sails from Emsworth, so we'll have to sort out a wee session at some time! If your crew's busy doing medical things and i'm down your way, i'd be more than happy to hang off the side for you (Y)