Author Topic: 2010 events  (Read 10905 times)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
2010 events
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
I suggest that we start thinking about putting some 2010 events in to the calander.

I understand that there are plans for next year's nationals. 

There are obviously some events where we need to speak nicely to clubs and others where we can just turn up.

In the west Thornbury are always keen to see us at their regatta.  More boats please.

Corus were really pleased to see us again this year and sharing with the Int canoes worked well. Again Corus were wondering if we could bring more boats.

Ideas for excellent events that we can include would be good.

Ideas to improve the numbers ate event would also be welcome.

There was talk at the start of this year of running a series from some of the events.  If one person at an event collects the results we can develop a series score and possibly crown a series winner.

Offline TSC

• Newb
Re: 2010 events
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »
Thornbury SC Regatta 2010 will be the 17th & 18th July.

11:00 Start on the Saturday and 11:40 on the Sunday.

We look forward to seeing you there.

(Stu thanks for the reminder I hope this is ok).

Phil, can you ask Sarah if Sat 3rd July is ok for the Byte CIIs, it would be an 11:00 start, shared event with the Lasers.

Cheers

Paul

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »
Will do Paul,

Thanks

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 07:28:28 AM »
Thanks for putting the dates up early as this meens I have a sporting chance of getting this one.
Although the week is already booked I am in a good position to argue my case.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:49:57 AM »
Our friends at Kielder have had a rough time of it. Can we support their event next year please?

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I have a controversial 2p, designed to stir up conversation not to start a barney.

I think 2010 is a very important year for Cherubs, we have a critical mass of newly built boats that look good, go fast and don’t fall to bits (not my phrase, see previous posts) – so I think its vital that we get out there and show people these boats, free publicity if you like.

I am a massive fan of our open meeting events, but in truth, is an open meeting at [pick your venue] of 4 cherubs really any benefit to us ? I’d argue that its detrimental as it makes us look small or disjointed and undesirable to join. [don’t get me wrong I will be at said events when at all possible].

To this end, I support two motions, both mentioned above. 1. The idea of a “Travellers Trophy” to make a series of our events. This helps us focus on the events we should attend and thus hopefully increase numbers. I’d really like to see some opens with 10+ boats this year, I am sure we have the mass so let’s create the focus.

The second is the idea of attending club regattas – these have two benefits; a) they attract at least some publicity, and if a cherub wins it all the better and b) some of our potential target audience will be at the regatta (laser II/2000/3000 etc, etc) so they can see what a Cherub can really do – in turn this may inject some life into the second hand market which is currently flush with very good boats.

I’d even support the idea of the two being merged, i.e. the results from a regatta counting towards our own series. I’d agree the quality of racing is not as pure, but I think that’s true of a 4 boat open meeting too.

What I’d like to see to focus it, is a list of say 6 events that we are really trying to get to,  listed so we can all commit and get it in our diaries – and then we can start lobbying to get boats there and helping those out that may have travel problems.

There, I’ve said it now, I’m not having a pop or a dig, I just want to see our lovely boats appreciated in 2010 and us all to have great racing in amongst the blasts. If theres anything I can do to help that I would be more than happy to do what I can.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
Well said Graham. I know that Stu is currently working on the calendar to try and get some dates published asap so that people can start planning. I was very rubbish last year only managing to get the Badger wet for the nationals and one other event so am partially to blame for the poor event turnouts and I do apologise. I believe that fewer events is better, that way people can make a real effort to get to them rather than picking and choosing which event they go to as that just dilutes things further.

Kielder was a really brilliant event last time I went and would be keen to support it, but it really is a fantastically long way from Devon! Last time we made the most of the day on the saturday by racing 3 races AND a long distance race back to back! Epic.

I think that getting some boats to the large Winter events as well as the Summer ones is a great idea too. They're also usually held at clubs where it is hard for small classes to get an open. Bloody Mary at QM, Tiger at Rutland, John Merricks pursuit at Hayling. There are also some really fun and well attended regattas in Wales like Tenby and Saundersfoot which we hope to get to next year too.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »
I second that Graham, however we are all partially to blame for low turn outs. As my teachers used to say
MUST DO BETTER.

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »
I wasnt having a dig at last years turn outs, just a rallying call for 2010 to show off all these new sexy boats at places where people might see us in some numbers .... I cant think of a better advert the class has never looked so good ...

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »
Well said Graham. 

As a small class spread accross the country it requires everyone to make a concerted effort to get a group of boats together. Also as a small class it makes a big difference when 1 or 2 additional boats turn up.

We will be concentrating on sailing and not building in 2010 so should get to more events aswell.

If we are going to have a defined open meeting series we need to fback it up and publish some results and crown our champion. With the range of new boats that should be quite interesting.

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
I agree with all that has been said above, particualry the idea of a travellers series.  I'm sure I could arrange a blasting / race or training day/ weekend at QMSC if people were interested.  Launching is easy if you put the boat in the water and then tip it over and put the sails on and the club I think would be happy to have us.  Decent pubs and a curry on the river at nearby Sunbury.   If you want to go further afield (much much further) the club at Riva Del Garda have said they are happy to have boats turn up and sail there in the week July 19th as they don't have an event on.  A better blasting venue would be hard to find......

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »
RIVA DEL GARDA now theres a cracking place to sail and it would just about qualify for the travellers series.
on a serious note I spoke to Graham a short while ago about Garda. I think this year would be dificult for us,
but next year definately.

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 06:39:39 PM »
Just so I know, are we expecting more events to be posted other than those recently announced, so far we have the travellers trophy, a Weston open and a bunch of open class events.

Can I plan around that, or will more cherub opens be announced ?

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
stokes bay blast??? iv always wanted to sail there :S
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »
We started to put the events in the calender and will be wimping out of the poole traveller.  Sarah has a byte event at Thornbury on the Staurday and I will probably get roped in to help.  The Sunday is thornbury's Sharpness race which is brilliant fun.  18 miles of sailing 9 in each direction of course.  You get to choose your own start but must round the buoy (boat) at Sharpness by high water otherwise you are DSQ.