Linked Events

• Traveller - Poole: July 03, 2010 - July 04, 2010

Author Topic: Traveller - Poole  (Read 24311 times)

roland_trim

Re: Traveller - Poole
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 04:50:51 PM »
[I've changed my mind I think I shall come to Poole.... :D

Joking aside come - the best way to getting started with a Cherub is with a fleet of them. Makes thinking about angles and not stuffing so much easier.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
late entry charge has been extended until 4pm friday.
Roland could you ring me before you come down this weekend.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
So if i pay over the phone now I can get it at the cheaper rate still? I entered one form last week but didn't bother with the other one as I thought I had missed the deadline!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »
I can confirm, if you speak to the office you can fax your entry form and still make the cheaper entry fee!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »
URGENT - Does anyone have a spare trapeze harness they can bring to Poole? Kate was promised hers would arrive today but it now will not, up to this point she has been using mine but obviously that wont work this weekend sailing different boats! So, if anyone has a harness that would fit either me or Kate, that would be great!

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »
URGENT - Does anyone have a spare trapeze harness they can bring to Poole? Kate was promised hers would arrive today but it now will not, up to this point she has been using mine but obviously that wont work this weekend sailing different boats! So, if anyone has a harness that would fit either me or Kate, that would be great!

Sorry mate the only one of mine that you'd have a vague hope of getting into I have is the one Patrick Cunningham nicked from me.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
No worries, thanks for the thought.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
[I've changed my mind I think I shall come to Poole.... :D

Joking aside come - the best way to getting started with a Cherub is with a fleet of them. Makes thinking about angles and not stuffing so much easier.

Thanks for that 'Slippy' ... but you do know I've sailed these things before and been a committee member don't you???

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 03:08:22 PM »
I think that 'Slippy' may have been referring to the learning curve between designs... I know that plenty of folk have gone 'back to basics' when getting their new boats this year!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »

Panic over, being the great class that it is, a couple of excellent class members have come up with the goods. Many thanks!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »
Trading up to 05 rules from 97 rules has been a new learning curve for us.  The effect from the proportionally larger jib has to be considered.  Getting used to the new deck layout, how the boat responds etc is all different.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 11:11:13 PM »
Undoubtedly we have a lot to get to grips with. Me having had 5 years off and Luke not having any trapezeing experience and stepping into one of the hardest dinghies around to sail from Oppies / Mirrors. I was just really checking that Mr Slippy was aware that I had sailed these things before. As it just didn't sound like that from the post. Not a biggie.

From my perspective the Banshee is so much nicer to sail ( dare I say easier! ) than Loco Pero with 2005 rules. I am certainly very pleased with the balance all round. And she is a dream to right from a capsize. This may change as we move up the wind range of course! But right now I need to get Lukes basics really dialled in before we will benefit from fleet racing.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey....

Debi_Gibson

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »
Finally got back from Poole, Hoppy insisted on having a beer at the sailing club on route....

Just wanted to say Thank You to the Shiny household for putting up with us for the weekend :) We had a great time and it was good to see everyone again  ;D

See you all soon
Debi

roland_trim

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »

Many thanks to all for making this a special weekend. Credit to Lara and Debs for their hard work as land crew.

Not sure who came third, but when writing the report please remember our scorching 3 sail reach during the thrid race - EJ  choosing to continue the blast rather than the race (and that after a while memory's fail and the report becomes fact).

A full (and truthful) write up of our outing will appear on our log.

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
Yes many thanks to Dave and Lara for the floor space.  The racing was a bit of a blur but from my memory this is roughly what happened from our perspective.

The course was a complicated outer loop windward leeward with a reach out and back to it.  The bottom reach to the finish was a particarly 'interesting' white sailer in decent breeze.  The Saturday started with a postponement waiting for the wind.  When the wind arrived it quickly built to 12-15knts.  

The first race started with most Cherubs on the line except EJ who had put an unwanted reef in their sails by severely shortening the mast.  I'm not sure who lead around the windward mark but it wasn't us.  A broad reach followed to the outer loop.  Here was where matters got interesting.  This was for two reasons:

a) the outer loop was tiny, about a minute downwind with the kite up
b) the outerloop was set right in the middle of the slow boats course, so full of toppers, mirrors and GP14's.

Result, frenetic activity, many near collisions and plenty of swimming for all.  In between all of this a halfway decent race for the lead developed between us and Riot Van.  Shiny retired twisted and Ronin and Badgers were somewhere behind.  We won, Riot Van dropped back a bit (I think stopped for some swimming) I think Ronin were 3rd and Badgers 4th but could be the other way round.

By race 2 the wind had built to 18-20knts.  Long wait between races during which we and Riot Van practiced for the sychronised capsizing event to be inaugurated at this years Nationals.  Course still the same, mirrors etc still present.  Racing was again tight for the first couple of laps until capsizes spread the fleet out a bit.  Badgers used their weighty experience to keep the sails pointing upwards and had a clear win.  Ronin and us swapped capsizes with Ronin generally in front until their weight undid them and the board decided it had enough of Ross bouncing on it and cracked.  This left us free to finish 2nd with Riot Van a fairly distant third.  I don't think anyone else finished.

The course was re-set for race three giving a better outer loop.  Only three cherubs started this race, the wind was still fairly pokey at 15-20knts.  Badgers had another clear win, Riot Van kept their sails dryer than us to finish second.  We capsized more in this one race than in 4 seasons of RS200 racing and finished an even more distant third.

Sunday dawned to the plants in Daves garden rustling around.  'Be windy at the club' said Dave and he was right.  The breeze quickly built so that by 10am there was a sea of small white horses across the race course and a shrill noise from the rigging of the yachts in the marina.  We made an early decision to sail up the M3, bits of various damage made the same decision obvious for all others except The Badger who seemed willing to tempt fate and race.  However the constant wailing of the rigging even un-nerved Tim and the Badger eventually also stayed ashore with the rest of the aysmmetric handicap fleet.  So the overall results based on Saturday are by my reckoning:

1.  The Badger
2.  The Samurai Rabbit - Usagi
3.  Riot Van

........after than I'm not sure so perhaps Dave had the official results and can post them.