Author Topic: Mast questions  (Read 15644 times)

craig_guthrie

Mast questions
« on: June 22, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »
Hi Folks,
Is there a current "standard" as far as rigs go in the Cherub? I see people have used other tubes from RS 600 and 800 class. Is there a builder who sells a decent blank carbon spar as well as a complete and current rules Cherub Rig?

Thanks,
Craig

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
Re: Mast questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
Hi Craig,

a lot of people are using http://www.c-tech.co.nz/ spars and I think there are some http://www.cstcomposites.com/ around as well. I am using a RS700 mast with alterations, which I think is the route 'Rohin' took which is a http://www.superspars.com/. They also claim to make a proven carbon mast for the Cherub but I can't remember any.

Hope that helps.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »
Shiney Beast has a superspars mast... and if I remember rightly that has won a thing or two.

craig_guthrie

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »
An aluminum section I assume? Which one?

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
Carbon.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

roland_trim

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »
Craig,
In what context? What rags are you trying to hang and on what boat?

For example if you are interested in an old, but very servicable ali rig then there are several very strong and light ones around for zero cost or ar you looking to win the nationals with an 05 rules rig  mounted on something you have been brewing in your garage?

If you are looking for a carbon stick by the nationals then you may be pushing it to get a delivery from the Southern Hemisphere....

craig_guthrie

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:39:13 AM »
I am in the research stage. As current as possible is important. Not going to be sending the boat to the UK but we will most likely travel and charter a boat if that is even possible for a regatta or two in the future.

So, fairly decent rags, not brand new. Good carbon stick for a 180lb crew with a 125 lb skipper. We are looking at sailing the boat in about 8 to 10 months time.

Design? Well, Slug looks cool, I also am interested in the Banshee and Elway designs. Your take on these boats?

Thanks.
Craig

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »
Shiney Beast has a superspars mast... and if I remember rightly that has won a thing or two.

Should of being paying more attention shouldn't I! Trouble is the dam thing was normally so far ahead you couldn't see the mast!

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
I am in the research stage. As current as possible is important. Not going to be sending the boat to the UK but we will most likely travel and charter a boat if that is even possible for a regatta or two in the future.

So, fairly decent rags, not brand new. Good carbon stick for a 180lb crew with a 125 lb skipper. We are looking at sailing the boat in about 8 to 10 months time.

Design? Well, Slug looks cool, I also am interested in the Banshee and Elway designs. Your take on these boats?

Thanks.
Craig

Banshee and Ellway 5 haven't been sailed as yet. But you can find info on the design and designers here :http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/test/doku.php/designs/banshee and here http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/test/doku.php/designs/ellway_5

But in estimation the Banshee should be slightly easier to sail than the Ellway allowing you to drive harder, although the Ellway could technically be slightly faster in stronger breeze.
The Banshee was based on a very successful 12 foot skiff design that has won many titles. The Ellway is a continuation of Kevin's Cherub designs and a study of the 'Slug' which has had good Cherub titles success.

The Slug design is a really well mannered shape, but was designed a while ago. And has much fuller bow sections than the Banshee or Ellway 5. Both the Ellway and Banshee have been designed to take advantage of 'T' foil rudder technology where as the Slug was not. That isn't to say that the Slug doesn't respond well to a 'T' foil.

Hope that gives you some pointers.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
I have had a couple of CST masts and a C-Tech mast

I think the quality of the c-tech was better than the CST a lot of thought went into the design and layup of the mast with SS plates bonded into the structure of the mast at all the shroud points There is also extra reinforcement buit up where the gooseneck and other hardware goes.
With the CST I got a plain tube then slid tight fitting carbon tube up inside the mast to where I fitted the shroud points, this is not as strong and heavier.

The C-Tech was prepreg hand placed fibres, whereas the CST was wet layup filament wound.

Both the CST and the C-Tech arrived from the southern hemisphere in two parts a parallel tube and a tapered one, they then sleave together and you fit the spreaders.

Both companies will supply spreaders bonded to brackets which you then bond to the mast, most of the problems I have seen with these have been from inadequate bonding by the end user so this needs careful preparation.

I got my C-Tech delevered in 4 weeks.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

craig_guthrie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:08:58 AM »
Thanks for that  Phil.
So how much was your cost to bring in the C-Tech mast? Actually what was the mast cost? Can you provide specs for the mast...I guess they will have it on file. The earlier I get quotes the better off I will be. Sounds like the C-Tech is the better of  the options and then have appropriately cut sails or course
THanks

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:00:16 AM »
If you were to go Fyfe/C-tech you could get them shipped over at the same time, couldn't you?
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:17:24 AM »
Yes - Alex Vallings and Ken Fyfe are mates and routinely send their packages off together to save a few pounds. I think ours came separately this time, but our sails came with Dan Kembles sails so a bit of money was saved.

The cost is ok - until you add the import duty which is 12% or so. You may pay nothing or a different amount to get them to Canada.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:54 PM »
Its hard to look past the C-tch/Fyfe option if you want a really well matched sail and mast. And if you're importing anyway it may as well all come from the same place... Currency variations have a big impact on price. When I got the first C-tech/Fyfe rig in the UK the cost was similar to an English sourced rig in spite of the duty.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
I got the mast from c-tech in 2006 with the track on and the holes for rigging and spreaders but no brackets for the spreaders for about £700 incl delivery and the duty. at the same time Superspars from the UK was about £800

The exchange rate to the UK has made it more expensive now but not sure how it works out for Canada.

I do not have specs but if you email them to discuss and tell them your weight they will design a mast to match.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale