Author Topic: advice for a new member  (Read 12982 times)

Offline jasonlemasurier

• Newb
advice for a new member
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:15:22 AM »
thanks to roland i am hanging on 'by the skin of my teeth' to my hope/dream of sailing a cherub some day, despite my family's concern about me sailing a cherub with epilepsy.  thank you roland for your kindness in collecting and looking after my boat until the time when i will hopefully  get to sail her myself
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:58:18 AM by jasonlemasurier »
there but for the grace of god go i

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: advice for a new member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:39:19 AM »
Hi Jason,

First of all, welcome to the cherub class.

I expect your family are right to be worried, but you have bought ito a class that will be a bundle of fun, keep you thinking, and make you smile from ear to ear, got to be good therapy !

Not in the same league, but I was also very concerned when I bought my first into cherub as I sailed with my (then 10 year old) son. What I found was that I recieved so much support from other people in the class helping me make sure the boat worked well (reducing risk) and how to handle it correctly. Of course we were careful initially about the days we chose to sail in and slowly ramped up the weather conditions we ventured out in while we gained confidence.

I'd suggest a similar approach for you, and you'll soon find the boat rewarding you, and the good news for your family is that your spree will be over as you wont want to buy anything else again !

Let us know which boat you have bought, and where you live/intend to sail and if you have a crew, and we'll sort out someone to come and see the boat and help you get going for the first time - tell your family to get the kettle on !

If you or anyone in your family would like to talk to me  (or anyone else), you can press the contacts button to the left of here and and I'll be in touch to help in any way I can.

Graham
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:40:56 AM by graham_bridle »

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »
Hi Jason,

Where are you based? What's your sailing experience?
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline jasonlemasurier

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
hi sorry for not replying before, there was no reply button on the posting before.
i am overwhelmed by th kindness and offers of help i have received from the cherub community, thank you all very much.  the boat i have bought is 2661 this way up.  i live in morecambe.  i have been sailing since age 13 30 years.  a variety of boats - mirror, solo, osprey, lark etc, i have logged over 40000 miles offshore racing.  i would like to sail it with my children- 14 year-old son and 17 year-old daughter.  any more advice welcomed thanks jason

Offline jasonlemasurier

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
Quote from: jasonlemasurier link=topic=891. msg9029#msg9029 date=1289805322
thanks to roland i am hanging on 'by the skin of my teeth' to my hope/dream of sailing a cherub some day, despite my family's concern about me sailing a cherub with epilepsy.   thank you roland for your kindness in collecting and looking after my boat until the time when i will hopefully  get to sail her , thanks jason
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:01:49 AM by jasonlemasurier »