Author Topic: Sails  (Read 4362 times)

Thomas Baker

Sails
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »
I'm looking at getting another set of sails for cheese for next season, being on a budget would I be able to use a set of second hand sails? (Are they interchangeable?) I've heard a rumour that their not. If I can use a set of older sails, is there anybody out there aware of any that are for sale that would be good for cheese? Thanks, Tom. 

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Sails
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:13:44 PM »
The mast foot on Cheese is a bit further forward than most of the newer '05 Rules boats, so my guess is that your jib will have a shorter foot than the current norm. This is probably the main issue with trying to get a 2nd hand set to fit properly. If the jib is a conventional cross cut construction it might be possible to trim a bit off the leech, but i think that would be near impossible with a tri-radial sail.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
As Neil says most cherubs have different masts/ luff curves etc. this makes using 2nd hand sails always a compromise. Do you know what mast you have? Alternatively check out sailmakers prices as they sometimes offer discounts through the winter months, when they are less busy. Another idea would be to replace them slowly by replacing the most knackered one first, then saving up to replace the next one.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
With all second hand it is a compromise. However a main can have the luff cut to for your mast. This is a scary thing to do but really not that difficult. What about making a jib? The one I made is fine. Personally I think its better but that's an opinion.
Making works but I would agree buying is better.

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
If you find some and want to change the shape. We have used Jim Hunt from HD sails to re-cut. He does a great job and is very interested in Cherub stuff. I guess you have a plethora of sailmakers your way though.
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"