Linked Events

• Nov 2010 Sticky Weekend: November 27, 2010 - November 28, 2010

Author Topic: 2010 Sticky Weekend  (Read 16868 times)

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
2010 Sticky Weekend
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:38:36 AM »
                         WHAT....2010 Sticky Weekend

WHEN....27th/28th November

WHERE..Weston Super Mare

The chance to bring Projects, and sort out the things you've been meaning to get around to all year.
Alternatively come along and support the class effort for the Hall of Fame, many hands make light work!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:11:56 PM by Phil Alderson »

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
Re: 2010 Sticky Weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »
i can come for the sat, but have a walk for D of E on the sunday :(
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
can i make a boom and spinny pole????? or just one or the other
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
As always we are happy to collect any material needed form Wiz (you pay, we collect).

The mandrels are with us at BGM, so both could be an option.

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:55:08 AM »
I would quite like to fill, fair and respray my foils, as some saw at the weekend they are a little battered! I have no materials so will need to buy everything, either small amounts from people or properly, anyone have any, filler, spray paint?

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »
Great stuff John,

I'll help you with that. I might also be able to get Sarah to help too.

You will need a roll of heat shrink tape. We found the 20mm-25mm wide rolls are best. The 50mm wide roll that I now have left dosen't give such good consolidation.  We have recently been cutting this in half to do small items but this would be a major head ache for a boom or pole.  Ask Wiz if he can provide.

Let me look out our cloth cutting list for both the boom and pole and I'll send to you.

We applied the final layer of weave in a second hit. This allowed us to fair any wrinkles left in the uni by the heat shrink.

I can also collect from Wiz if required.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »
lifesaver phil

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:08:01 PM »
Once my wallet has recovered from a recent car purchase I will get on the case and pay my class fees and will be there. Hopefully I can get the materials from my parents place and can make some bulkheads for the slug.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 12:46:34 PM »
Another good sticky weekend project that requires several pairs of hands.

I would spend some time either making templates for each bulkhead to nest on the sheet of foam or draw these at scale to work out the size of foam sheet that you need.  The beam of the slug and E5 is not too disimilar so the size of the panel required will vary with the height of the spine and bulkheads. you can get E5 bulkheads out of a 2.3m by 1.15 m sheet of foam but have to do some clever cutting and gluing to get the right shape of panels.

Best done with a vac pump.  If we are short of vac pumps we can do one of John's tubes with heat shirnk.

One day we will turn up and make all the components of a boat within one weekend. 

roland_trim

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:54:25 PM »
We will bring both our pumps and the tea urn. Sprit and a boom can easily be run off a single pump.

We can split the other pump to cover more jobs if we can find a suitable medical supplier of the red bucket vac thingies that sit next to almost every bed in the country. These also stop the resin goign into the pump and the one we have been using has a crack in it. I'll have a look when in London on Wednesday.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
What do you wrap the tubes in when vacing them, I have tried in the past but tended to get seams, unconsolidated bits where there are creases in the bag.

I have always prefered the heat shrink tape, but have recently run out.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

roland_trim

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:29:43 AM »
Vaccing Tubes. The headlines are:
1) Only do the inner layer and unis in hit 1. Do the outer layer as hit 2.
2) After laying down the cloth on the mandrel, helically wind peel ply around (we use 100mm wide tape peel ply rolls for this). Pull this tight and get it on neatly.
3) Use a thick breather and a very thin vac bag. Our favorite for this is B&Q dust sheet. Thim bags also need no tacky tape, just form the bag loosely with brown tape and the bag self seals when th pump is on. 

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
Hi John,

Please find the layups we used for our boom and pole.

I have tidied the spread sheet up and added some comments to help.  The required materials for both items are on the third worksheet.

While we will probably be able to use Roland's vac pump I know there are several projects being identified that need the same so if you can get some narow shrink tape it would be a good back up.

We could use Roland's candle wax method to coat the pole mandrel.  This may not work so well with the boom because the three sections of the boom mandrel need to be held together.  The draghting film and parcel tape layer therfore works best in my view.

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
Another good sticky weekend project that requires several pairs of hands.

I would spend some time either making templates for each bulkhead to nest on the sheet of foam or draw these at scale to work out the size of foam sheet that you need.  The beam of the slug and E5 is not too disimilar so the size of the panel required will vary with the height of the spine and bulkheads. you can get E5 bulkheads out of a 2.3m by 1.15 m sheet of foam but have to do some clever cutting and gluing to get the right shape of panels.

Best done with a vac pump.  If we are short of vac pumps we can do one of John's tubes with heat shirnk.

One day we will turn up and make all the components of a boat within one weekend.  

Thanks for the info.
My bulkheads will be smaller as I am going for the low floor and foredeck option!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:03:23 PM by Gordon Tracy »

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
A quick reminder that EVERYONE attending the sticky weekend MUST be a member.