Author Topic: Bill McCutcheon  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Bill McCutcheon
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Its with great sadness I relay the following mail that I received today.

I wasn't lucky enough to have met Bill, but like countless others I am more than aware of his innovation and influence on Cherubs in those early years.

I pass this mail on with the permission of Bills family, who I am sure would be pleased to read of any memories or messages our members can share.

-------------------

Dear Graham

Hello this seem a good way to contact you rather than by phone I hope you dont mind

My father William (Bill) McCutcheon passed away peacefully aged 79 on the 11th November 2012 after battling cancer. He was a UK boat builder on the Isle of Wight and introduced the Cherub class dinghy to the UK building and racing the first UK Cherub in 1956. He built many many wooden dinghies Cherubs, International 14's and Moths being the mainstay both for the uk and overseas for over 20 years. He was a quiet man but so proud that a few of his boats he built are still around and being raced in the different classic class's today. 

I hoped you might mention his passing in your next class news letter.

Kind regards

Jamie McCutcheon

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Bill McCutcheon
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
I wrote this in July 2011 in the thread: Royal Victoria YC (Cowes) - July 16th - 17th

"We dropped in on Bill McCutcheon on monday afternoon before we left the island.  Really nice guy.  After his initial understandable bemusement at being doorstepped by a couple of quite damp cherub sailors, he told us how he had built and sailed more moths and 14s than he could remember, but the cherub was still his favourite."

Feel honoured to have met him.

roland_trim

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »
H&I looked like a pair of drowned rats when we pulled up outside his house. I remember his energy from that meeting.
He definitely had the "I've sent it in a tiny boat" look when he talked about the Cherubs, and seemed genuinely happy that we continue to share it today.

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
I am very grateful to Bill for bringing such an exhilarating and rewarding skiff to the U.K.  The Cherub class is very proud of its roots and I am sure he will be remembered long after I have hung up my harness.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:23 PM »
He was a legend, a name that will remain part of sailing (and Cherub sailing) folklore.
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
Hi Jamie,

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I never had the pleasure of meeting Bill but if it wasn't for him and the contributions of many others of his generation then I am sure that we wouldn't be enjoying the boats in the same way today so we owe him a great deal.

Kind regards and best wishes to you and the family,

Tim

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »
Dear Jamie,

We were very sad to hear of Bill's passing. We, and many sailors in many different classes, all owe him a great debt.

Warmest regards to you all,

Will & Lucy Lee