Author Topic: Hi  (Read 17141 times)

Jake_holmes

Hi
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »
Hey
i recently bought a fibreglass cherub for £50 and have been slowly doing it up. I have no idea of when it was built/ the sail number. Also i was wondering what would be a good crew + helm weight for a new twin trapeze boat?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:48:07 PM by Jake_holmes »

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
Hi Jake,

There was a green boat for sale a while back. It had ply decks and was going for £55 on Boats & Outboards. Can you tell us more about you boat?

Where are you based?
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Jake_holmes

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »
I bought it after i sailed a wooden boat belonging to jim and beth Barnes, Jim tracked a boat down that belonged to a local sailer and had been sitting in his mothers garden for the past 2 years. Aparantly he used to sail it frequently in plymouth sound and up and down the river tamar. I am based neer the River Tamar and usually sail in Plymouth Sound.  The Boat similar to number 2533 but it has fibreglass deck. It also has a tank at the transom. It has white topsides and a yellow hull.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
If you can post some photos there's a reasonable chance I can recognise the design. Important diagnostic shots are transom from behind, side view, especially showing the rocker line, , bows from about 45 degrees off the bow, showing as much underside as possible and the cockpit internals. If you can arrange a shot of the hull from underneath (tipped on her side in the dinghy park) then a shot from forward of the bow and from directly underneath would be helpful. It would also be good to know how thick the hull and topsides are. Look at the self bailer area to gauge hull thickness. Sail number is almost certainly going to remain a mystery I'm afraid.

Jake_holmes

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »
ok, i will try and get those shots sorted, its currently raining, so i will post them tomorrow.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:24:44 PM »
I met up with Jake over the bank holiday.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
I hope Jim can help us out. The boat is made from glass, what appears to be a very thin solid laminate. The deck looks like it was made in a mould. It is a v unusual boat as it has a pivotting centreboard.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
cockpit

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »
here's the small board with jake.

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 08:00:20 PM »
Looks like an unusual boat all round, transom tank and moulded deck, she is a beauty though !

Must surely be a Foreman of some ilk with a transom shape like that, where is Jake based ? we must get him a sail while he restores this one.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »
I'm not seeing the enlargements which doesn't help...
So far this one has got me... The stern tank is a real puzzler, I'm sure I haven't seen one on a monolithic glass boat before. Late 60s, maybe very early 70s I should think. If I wasn't sure I'd seen them without stern tanks I'd wonder about a Greg 6... You don't have a photo of the bow area I suppose? I suppose it could be one of the many Forman 4 variations, but it doesn't feel right to me...

I should be at Corus with the Canoe, so if you have any old Cherubs you'd like a very old Cherub sailor to take a look at that could be a good opportunity to get it out and sail with other Cherubs...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:42:55 PM by JimC »

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
Click the writing to see the big ones in a separate window. I think there is a client-side arrangement such that if you click the image it grows in the forum thread.

Here is a Forman 4cg which is in Hertfordshire, compared with Jake's boat. Looks pretty much the same except for the case and supporting shelf.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
2303 is the number.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 11:14:01 AM »
Well there you go: you learn something every day - I don't believe I've ever seen that stern tank arrangement on a Forman 4 and you come up with two different boats! Those boats would have been built a couple of years or so before I started sailing Cherubs, and in those days, when so many more boats were being built,  nothing like as high a percentage of the fleet turned up to Championships as do now.
Definitely a Forman 4. The case may have been intended for a sliding daggerboard rather than a pivoting one, it seems small for a pivoting board in those days, but on the other hand large for a sliding daggerboard.

For some reason I can see the enlargements here at work but didn't get them at home.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »
I have more pics of the Forman 4CG, I intend to pick it up in the near future and use it to teach my girlfriend how to sail in the Kingsbridge / Salcombe estuary.

Looks to have a moulded deck, with wooden gunwhale and cockpit features. Comes with 2 daggerboards of different lengths, 2 kites (big and small) fully battened Dacron main and jib, needlespar mast and a 2.5m spinni pole.