Author Topic: Looking for a new boat, any ideas?  (Read 8502 times)

Offline gilly900

• Newb
Looking for a new boat, any ideas?
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
Hi, i own 2501, have done for some years, and attempted to start a restoration over the winter.  (See previous posts under help identify my cherub!!) Work, and two very recent sproglets have burgled any spare time and put well and truly paid to that plan (for now at least!) and she is still languishing, in said garage, in same sorry state!!
Anyway, i really want to do some cherubing this summer, and have just sold my 700 so am in a position to acquire a ready to go boat!! Having monitored the for sale page for some time i feel there is nothing that really suits.  I do remember seeing shiny beast on there some time ago.  Does anyone know if she is still available? Alternatively, is anyone thinking of selling something of a similar ilk? Any pointers would be appreciated! As an aside, im down in deepest, darkest west Cornwall, and if anyone needs a crew down here, i would love to oblige!
regards, Martin

roland_trim

Re: Looking for a new boat, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »
Martin, feel a little guilty typing with a massive grinn on my face. Hayley and I know exactly where Shiny is. About 2 hours ago she was buzzing under our feet and generally tanking along like a train (a very light one). She is parked at Chew. If I did not have a strict limit on the ammount of exercise I am allowed to do, Hayley and I would still be sailing.

Currently the Shiny for sale situation is a bit unsure. We have arranged a loan for her between now and the nationals inclusive. We are not sure if this is 100% happening and all will become clearer in the next few days/weeks and we'll be in touch to confirm exactly what is happening.

Have you considered Cheeze? She is excellent and following a minor foredeck repair will also deliver a significant bang for buck.

Offline gilly900

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »
Yes, had a look at cheese,s (sic?) photos, but prefer the aesthetic of the slug! Again, if anyone is looking to sell let me know!

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
Hi Martin,

I've been looking back through your thread from last summer regarding your woodie 2501. http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/forum/index.php/topic,1121.0.html
The conclusion was that this was probably a Spencer 7, and the records show that it was built and owned by a Mike Commander in 1976. A strange thing happened a couple of weeks after Phil K posted that information. I was sailing at the Torbay Week regatta in Paignton at the end of last August. I was getting changed out of my wetsuit on the last day when I happened to notice that the kit bag next to mine had "M. Commander" written on it in permanent marker. There can't be too many sailors in the UK with that name. Unfortunately I wasn't able to connect the bag to it's owner, otherwise I would have quizzed him over the 2501 history. However, he does appear in the 2011 Regatta results as "Michael Commander, Laser, Teign Corinthian SC" so I suppose he might be traceable (assuming it is the same guy) if you wanted any more information about your boat.

In a shameless bit of self-promotion, the attached picture shows me crewing the boat at the top of the poster, with former Cherub Class President Simon Roberts waggling the long stick at the back!

Offline gilly900

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
Neil, thank you for the info. I apologise for not taking you up on the offer of looking at the boat last summer. My work has me going away to sunny climes, for long periods, at short notice! 2501 is still in my fathers garage in the north east. If i can get up to Newcastle over the summer i would love you to have a look! In the interim, i will attempt to contact M Commander for some info. As far as a new boat goes, i would like to acquire something that can be sailed immediately, so that what little of the summer remains can be seized! I do still intend on getting 2501 water borne again, it may just take some time! I would consider a professional refurb, alhough would not know where to start looking for a suitable builder, and dont really know if it is in keeping with the cherub DIY ethos!

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
Drop me a line if you're going to be in the area, I'd be very happy to come and have a peek at 2501. However, buying a "ready to go" boat makes much more sense if you want to get on the water soonish. I know from recent personal experience how long it takes to get old wooden Cherubs restored, fitted out and rigged properly. It's not quick!

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Hi Martin,

First thing to do is decide if you need a classic (single wire, spinnaker pole - Eggbert is for sale as one of these) or a 97 rules boat (larger sails, asymetric, single trapeze - Catananche for sale) or a 2005 rules (even larger sails, twin wire - Cheese or Shiny Beast for sale). The latter two might also have 97 rules equipment with them, not sure check with owners.

I think all of the boats mentioned are pretty much ready to go, of course they'd love a refurb and I an sure if you wanted to our builders aardvark or bloodaxe would help with that - dont worry about the DIY ethos, not all of us love getting covered in resin.

If you are on the fence about 97/2005 I would really recommend that you take another look at cheese, it would be one of the more stable options and certainly better than most as a reintroduction to the class, while also being very quick !

Offline gilly900

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
Neil, i will indeed drop you a line if and when i manage to get some leave in! Graham, thanks for the advice. I have had a couple of offers on potential boats, and may be able to get my hands on one very shortly! I will be sure to update the site when this happens, and will post any results on the ongoing 2501 investigation!

roland_trim

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
Update:
Gilly900 left Bristol with a Trifle on the back of his truck on Tuesday, next stop Newcastle then Bassenthwaite.
Like "Take Me Out",  I'm sure he'll post about his trip "Accross the Island" in the near future.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
Rock n roll!

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »
Good boat dating service, I hope Pwhelli is on his radar !

Offline gilly900

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »
Indeed, i am now the proud owner of 2654. Will attempt to upload some photos if able, as i have given her a quick paint job. Roland, thank you for facilitating! Have sailed her twice now with my father, and although we are nowhere near worked up as a crew we are heading to Bass Week tomorrow to give her a whirl round the cans. We will, unfortunately, be unable to make the Nats, although the boat is available should anyone want to use her there.

Offline gilly900

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »
Repainted trifle!

Offline gilly900

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
trilfe 2

Offline gilly900

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
trifle 3. She is a Monet, ie dont get too close!! Looks ok from a distance, planning a full strip and paint over the winter.