Author Topic: To expose or not to expose...  (Read 15988 times)

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
To expose or not to expose...
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »
...my legs. I'm looking at a Spring/Summer wetsuit and was wondering if it's better go for a shortie or get one of those full leg short arm/sleavless jobbies. Is exposing bare flesh (especially shins) madness in a boat like a Cherub? Or should I just man up and deal with the inevitable bruising and bleeding and dodgy tan lines.

What do you wear? Would you change any of it?

Cheers.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: To expose or not to expose...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:38 AM »
I've got a shorty and my shins now resemble that of a horrific RTA victim. But at the same time... chicks dig scars. So it's your choice whether to take this as meaning that having a shortie is a good idea or not!

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »
Remember, you can buy tattoos, but scars can only be earned!

But seriously, I know sailing is never going to be a looking good sport, but a shorties definately looks better than a long-legged jobbie. I wouldn't swap mine out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:10:50 AM by stu_tinner »

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »
Is exposing bare flesh (especially shins) madness in a boat like a Cherub?

Talk to Gavin he is a 'bare foot' sailor.

I've never been able to get to grips with that though. and I prefer a 'long john' to a shorty because I can't be doing with suntan cream slippyness on my hands, burning my legs and kneeling on screw heads and cleats. Although I have a shorty ( which was a 'long john' ) for when all the rest of my kit is horrid and smelly.

rich_cunneen

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »
Shorty all the way.

How else can you get tan lines that are far too low to be covered by normal shorts, leaving your legs in an attractive two-tone colourscheme?

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »
I've always wanted to go for the bare foot option, it is just far too uncomfortable walking around the dinghy park. Maybe I need to employ a beach team...

Debi_Gibson

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
I've always wanted to go for the bare foot option, it is just far too uncomfortable walking around the dinghy park. Maybe I need to employ a beach team...

Same here....

I usually wear wet suit shorts in the summer and a rashie and thats it, though di have a long summer wetsuit for those slightly colder windier days or hikers.

But TBH if i am helming or crewing can influence what i wear out sailing....though this could be cos i am a girl  ;D

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
For the full affect you need to wear knee pads with your shorty to get properly stripy legs.

I do not think I would ever sail bare feet having once ripped the nail off my big toe sailing my old 14 in Peterhead Harbour in March, only noticed when I emptied my sailing boot after getting changed the water was a strangely reddish colour

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »
For the full affect you need to wear knee pads with your shorty to get properly stripy legs.

Yes I used to do that when I was sailing the Buzz mid 9O's and that's when I decided to move to 'long john's'!  Looking like a 'Humbug' who's legs played a bit part in 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' I decided wasn't cool.