Author Topic: Ghosts  (Read 4379 times)

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Ghosts
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:07:16 AM »
Has anyone herd of or know what happened to 3 boats called Ghosts?
I was speaking to a man who used to sail Cherubs in the 80' (he was the man who gave us the boat you restored Neil).
He mention a 14' long development on a cherub that sailed on the South coast. An early version of the SK1 idea I guess.
I am just curious what they were like.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »
Were there not pics of a Bob Clements 14 foot Cherubesque thing kicking about ages ago. I think the photo I remember it was Yellow, and it had some funky fixed T-Foils. Not sure if these might be the same thing.

roland_trim

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
I think I administered the last rights to Bob's yellow boat.

Bits of it are currently sailing throughout the Cherub fleet - for one thing TWU's new centreboard is the main foil that still bears the imprints of lifting foils bonded onto it.

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
I know there was a 15ft class designed by Greg Gregory called the Ghost (little bit on it here: http://www.davidhenshallmedia.co.uk/ghost.html ) that was influenced by his Cherub designs, but that was long before the 80's - could well be something different.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:52:39 AM »
This may not be entirely accurate, but I don't think Bob and Alan's yellow boat was one of the Ghosts. Theirs was an Int 14 designed by Dave Roe, based on the Italian Bistro design, but called an Indian Takeaway in Int14 format. May have been built by the Cope brothers ( who designed and built Cherub Johnny Fartpants), later sold on to Bob & Alan. But this was built about 1993 or 94 IIRC, so too late for the Ghosts mentioned above I think. I don't recall ever hearing of them.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »
Bigger Cherubs...

Yeah, the Ghost is pretty much as Mr Henshall described it. 60s, based on 60s Cherubs, except an even bigger genoa. We've learned since then! Pity UK design was a long long way behind the plot at that time. Not sure I ever saw one, Mr Henshall is more enthusiastic about the execution than I.

There was a Chris Forman 14 some time in the 70s, ISTR being told it was good in the light but less so in a breeze which is the opposite of what you'd normally anticipate. I only ever saw it once and not on the water.

I *think* there were indeed three Indian Takeaways built. Fairly sure the Copes had one, there's a dim memory one might have been Biffa and there was one that was owned by some 14 people I didn't know. There's a bit about the Takeaway in the design interview I did a few years ago, don't know if its still knocking about. As I recall I (for what little that's worth) thought it was a bit fat in the ends, more so than a Bistro.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:35:12 PM by JimC »