Author Topic: EJ's gone  (Read 5456 times)

roland_trim

EJ's gone
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
Hayley and Roland are sad to say that EJ is no longer with them. After the impact last year at Thornbury and several attempts to patch up the damage she has now gone to a better place - DAVE AND LARA!

Dave's first insistence was to fit solid lowers and a stump. A stroke of genius. During the hacking out of the old strucutre we found that the little mast stump (from deck to wing bars) was actually a shattered mush of carbon. The mush was just at the intersection of the bars, inacessible and near enough to the place the creaking has been comming from to be the source. Either way, the wing bars had been holding the rig for a while. This also fits with all of the other problems that I had attributed to the bulkeads not being attached underneath and also explains why none of the other fixes worked.

From the hole made removing the minor stump, the bukheads appear very attached in the middle and there was no sound when we pulled tension onto the new geometry this morning.

Team Trim wish Dave and Lara every joy with their new boat - hopefully she will be back on the water soon.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
Re: EJ's gone
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
fantastic, glad you finally found the problem too!
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
But will it stay pink?

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
PS. Dave - After you left we lined the foils up, found she is over 50kg (inc kite, foils and stock), dropped her turning her back over and were too grumpy to bother to find the measured weight. We both then realised we were tired and went to bed for the rest of the afternoon.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »
Thanks Roland for your help EJ is safe in the garage.
Pro grip tonight.
This year I will only be doing adjustments I can do while not interfering with sailing.
So for at least this year pink is the colour.
Did the foils line up?
M and TK good result in the 18'

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
Foils lined up perfectly - laser line and everything!

A few mixed emotions going on. Strange to think we are now a pink-boat-free zone. We'll always have an attachment to EJ - a lot of us went into her (sweat, blood, skin...) but we know you'll take good care of her. Looking forward to seeing her after the full Ching-Gonzalez treatment.  :'( :) 8)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
I'm really glad that EJ will live on and that Dave and Lara have got a modern generation boat to sail.

It was sad last year to see EJ feeling unwell and having many trips to the doctors. However now the surgeon has found the problem (and operated?) I'm sure she will have a new lease of life and many happy sails.

Will she be in the top 5 at the nationals?

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
Major surgery took place over the weekend at BGM Keynsham Infirmary. EJ is now discharged as an outpatient and under the care of Dr Ching.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
Post-surgery trauma is often overlooked and I am happy to offer help and support for EJ...particularly look out for signs of solvent abuse or dependence on other substances used during the surgery. Over-dependence on carbon 'fixes' can be a cause of instability, leading to a breakdown.
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »
and not just EJ.  I see Antidote has sold.  Come on Paul, spill the beans.  Hopefully another boat we will see out regularly racing.  The 2005 rules fleet is building nicely

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 03:02:09 PM »
did paddy buy it?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Sorry been a busy week, been meaning to post something. Paddy Royall is the new owner of Antidote.   His background is laser 4000’s and int 14’s. It will be based at thornbury for now. He will be sailing at the Thornbury Regatta with his long standing crew Rob Jack. I hope they have as much fun in her as I have.

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »
Can you persuade them to come to Phwellhi Paul ?

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
Paddy & crew had a bad day yesterday!

Launched at Thornbury in a gusty Easterly, sailed out of the pill into the river and bang, over they went. What followed was a succession of capsizes with no more than a few seconds of sailing between each, finally ending with them taking the main off and getting towed back in feeling rather de-motivated.

The conditions were pretty bad, although the sunshine made it look nice.

I hope they dont get too down, and get back on the water soon.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:47:55 PM by TSC »

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
RS 400 lost a mast at Bartley yesterday in a big gust...I was glad I had the excuse of 'some little jobs which need doing'. They were brave to risk it.

New kite halyard is on Loco, have moved trapeze shock cords, t-foil is set up, jib tensioner sorted, pride intact  ;)
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'