Linked Events

• National Championships - Mumbles Yacht Club: August 18, 2022 - August 21, 2022

Author Topic: National Championships - Mumbles Yacht Club - 18-21 August  (Read 7851 times)

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
National Championships - Mumbles Yacht Club - 18-21 August
« on: January 03, 2022, 10:39:28 AM »
http://mumblesyachtclub.co.uk/

Event details to follow
If in doubt flat out

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
Re: National Championships - Mumbles Yacht Club - 18-21 August
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 07:08:45 AM »
The AGM will be held on Thursday 18/08/2022 at Mumbles Yacht Club, venue and time to be announced.

Please send any business items to be discussed and any apologies to me via here, fb or to [email protected] by 17/08/2022 2100hrs.
Current officers please send your reports to me as soon as possible.

As always committee positions will need to be voted for, I would encourage you all to think about being part of the committee and help keep our class alive and well, just because the position is filled currently doesn't mean you can't nominate yourself, positions available:
President - Jimmy -I am standing down and Dave C was voted to step up this year but will need to be voted in officially this year, this position can also be challenged should anyone wish to.. Job Role: Keeping the committee inline and busy with their jobs, organising sponsorship and the day to day running of the class.
Secretary/Treasurer - Simon - Stood down last year but as no one was able to take on this role kindly agreed to do 1 more year, however we must have a new secretary this year. Job Role: Signatory on the bank account, chasing payment of class membership and making sure we don't spend all our money.
Events - Martyn - Happy to stand again. Job Role: Planning the years events and being the liaison between the class and the various clubs and events. Also posting the events to FB and the Forum.
Technical - Alex - Happy to stand again. Job role: Creating and keeping a record of all Cherubs through measurement certificates, measuring anything new and being the point of contact for any technical questions.
Social Media - Joe - Happy to stand again. Job Role: Posting regular updates to FB and Instagram from the class with photos, posters and info. Also creates clothing and poster designs, though this is mostly down to Joe being an excellent Graphic Designer.
Webmaster - Phil and Oli - Happy to stand again. Job Role: Finishing the new website and then running the website when this is finished with updates to events, links to clubs and general maintenance.

Any and all nominations to me before the AGM if possible. It should be noted that all positions must be filled, please think about helping your class.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you on the start line in August.
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 07:19:27 AM »
Just an update, Jamie has decided he would like to be a dictator. I have offered to be a consultant, basically give ideas, have them ignored but not having to do any of the hard work.
Largely my plan has worked.
I think we need to start setting the committee objectives.
IE advertise the new sticky boat or the new boat price, shout about the new boat price, have clear and accessible measurements.
Any thoughts, what we want from them as I think the AGM is where this should be discussed.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 11:20:37 AM »
Test post
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline MonacoCherub

• Class member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 11:57:55 AM »
Reply to test

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 05:39:12 PM »
How small does that size picture seem these days

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 09:32:35 PM »
I have requested the following discussion
For the AGM.

What things are expected of the committee
For the coming year.
Such as upgrading of the forum to allow modern pics.
The strategy for advertising promotion strategies such as new boat try. Boat etc.
Quarterly reporting of progress.
Possible opens European possibilities.
Coordinated plan for measurements

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 10:35:49 AM »
Thanks Dave, I will pop these in the AGM schedule.
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 10:11:10 PM »
How small does that size picture seem these days

If you click on them you can see full size.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 07:36:44 AM »
I ment as a file size not physical size :o

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 07:51:01 AM »
After Day 2
Properly windy so far. I'm thinking not the best weekend to roll out the big sails properly epic racing. Loosing 2 places due to a kite halyard knot was hard but also great as it ment 2nd 3rd and 4th finished within a minute of each other.
Day 3 is getting to the thanks but no thanks wind but who knows.
Martyn we are thinking of you. Get well soon.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 06:49:16 PM »
Thanks to all for a great nationals.
Please can everyone send me a message or post with any highlights or memorable moments for me to put in the report.

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 09:34:22 AM »
Thanks to all for a great nationals.
Please can everyone send me a message or post with any highlights or memorable moments for me to put in the report.

After getting a text from Marty (crew) to ‘call me when you wake up’ the day before the event, my nationals looked in turmoil. He’d got the plate again and his work requires 10 days of isolation.
The crew hunt began.
I managed to pick up George Bender (yes, really) a merlin sailor, never trapezed and never flown an asymmetric kite; what could go wrong?

Day 1: Rigged up the race sails and followed everyone out to the start line (ish) I got George on the wire and he was smiling. The forecast has lied as it was about 10knots more on what was forecast. So we bore away in 18+ knots and got the kite up, the new crew followed the instructions well and sat down before popping the kite. We got him hooked on and off we went! I’ wasn’t sure if George was ok, panicking or if it was the adrenaline but he was shaking a lot, once he whooped and hollered, all was clear.
Gybe time and the inevitable swim, I assessed the wind and declared day over, far too windy to be giving an introduction to skiff land.

Day 2: kind of similar forecast was 5-10knots out and more wavy. After an evening of ‘higher and faster’ the improvements were there to be seen, we got one race in but were playing it safe. After race 1 the wind increased again and we called it, live to fight another day and all that.

Day 3: had a nice walk to a restaurant and some icecream to top it off.

Day 4: got out, did two races, a few capsizes every 20min George unlocked more of the boat, quicker and quicker we went. On the first race lap 1, we were with the fleet as we rounded the top mark, even with our doddery slow tacks.
Race 2 came and went. Same kind of thing let A&E through before the gate to allow us to finish (THANK YOU GP FINISH!)
Binned off the last race, how showers, icecream and smiles all round.

So from me, thanks to the fleet for being you this week, the RO for the course and a massive thank you to George for stepping up the day before the event and giving it go, was a pleasure to have you and hopefully now you understand why we like our silly little boats!

Ps. Get well soon Martyn!
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 02:33:19 PM »
Day 1: 1st to launch meant we got to send it hard to the start line to discover it was going to be a windy and lumpy affair with only a few boats on the start line on time. We hit out right early which helped and meant we rounded 3rd following Marmite and A+E. Kite went up an instant acceleration nearly threw both of us out the boat but meant we did stay away from Usagi who was chasing hard and overtook A+E, held these positions to the finish meaning we started the day with a 2nd place. Silly long wait meant we decided to sit on the capsized boat which proved to be a mistake as we took on water and struggled from there and had to retire just as the visibility shut the racing down.
Day 2: More wind, flat water. More boats on the start line meant a tight start and places where changed up the beat. Our downwind speed helped us to capitalise on others mistakes. On the run to the finish a 4000 was rounding up across the gate as we twinned in, jib flapping, main flogging and T-foil off, having shouted loudly and somewhat panicked we missed them by inches, Im not sure who had a worse case of brown trousers.... Race 2, rounded 5th in the leading group, hooked in to a magic gust and flew downwind to gybe inside everyone but A+E, who opted for a double gybe, to round 1st. Held the lead most of the beat, only loosing out when a shift knocked us below the mark, in the double tack we lost a few places, then had some more serious issues to contend with.
Day 3: Too much wind and a warning of large swell and waves meant a lovely fleet day of tinkering, a walk and food.
Day 4: A light wind flat water day, all boats on the line all pulling the trigger and racing hard to the windward mark with almost everyone rounding together. Places were made and lost by everybody up and down wind as the shifts began taking the there toll on tired crews. Binned the last race due to crew injury and headed for ice cream and hot showers.

Another excellent nationals with the racing now too close to call and some cracking socials as a fleet as well. Congratulations to our new president Jamie and all his committee and of course our new Champions, Jonny and Alex in A+E.
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 03:09:14 PM »
Can someone give an overview of the racing for the first 2 races on day 2 as I was sat on the beach.
Thanks for the contributions so far.