Author Topic: 2018 Open Meeting 1 - Rutland SC March 24/25  (Read 7644 times)

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
Re: 2018 Open Meeting 1 - Rutland SC March 24/25
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »
I think i confused the results a bit as i retired from all races after coming ashore.
3217 - Green Bananas (Kermit)

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
So who won?

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
It looks like Rosie and I did one way or another, despite the results on the Rutland SC site - everyone was late for race 1 except Nick and Myself.  Jamie must have got counted first despite being a lap down! The racing on the Sunday was otherwise very close at pretty much all times - except A+E foiling away from the fleet downwind in race 3 and 5!

The race officer was fantastic otherwise I felt - managed to get 5 decent length races in with very short turnarounds, particularly considering there were 4 fleets running and the wind was at best a patchy force 3!

Highlight for me was definitely the start for race 2, with every one of us crowded around the favored end, all with decent boat speed, in marginal twinning breeze. Proper good test of boatspeed and lane holding! Bit of a shame we only got 5 (4 when Nick's 12 footer rig is omitted) boats though - otherwise a cracking event.

Race 1:
With Saturday featuring almost no wind, but plenty of Rum, all boats except Green Bananas and Ronin were around a lap late to the start line. Ronin and Bananas had a decent battle all round the course, with Nick struggling to get enough leach tension on the big rig, and Robin/Rosie steadily getting to grips with Ronin. Eventually, Green Bananas snuck past Ronin after they messed a gybe up on the last run.

Race 2:
Everyone lined up very well for the start of race 2, with all 5 boats splitting up the first beat, Bananas, Shiny and A+E going right, and EJ and Ronin hitting left. Neither side paid particularly over the other, and all 5 boats arrived to the top mark (where the wind died to almost nothing) right together. Eventually, A+E and Ronin escaped the duldrums at the windward mark, and got some distance from the rest of the fleet - but without the wind to foil, Ronin pulled out a little lead which she held to the finish. A+E struggled on the downwinds without the foils, but upwind seemed just about as quick as the lowriding boats. Slightly further back, EJ escaped the dead wind at the top mark before Shiny, but the two remained close for the entirety of the race. I think Nick retired from this one on the water, favouring to go play in the breeze that was gently filling in across the rest of the racecourse.

Race 3:
a bit less crowded on this start line, with Ronin and A+E opting for the buoy end of the line, Jay winning the boat end, with Shiny and Bananas fighting it out in the middle. The fleet was more spread out in this race, with Shiny commanding a strong lead at the windward mark, followed by Bananas, EJ, and A+E in that order. Shiny held her lead down the first run, however lost out due to a big shift to the left on the second beat allowing Ronin and EJ through, only for EJ to take a dunking at the top of the windward leg. Though Ronin had a fair lead at this point, the wind was just enough for A+E to foil from 4th right up to 1st on the last run. Shiny held off EJ for 3rd.

Race 4:
The nice breeze that had filled in for race 3 had now subsided to a patchy game of snakes and ladders, which kept the fleet tight together up to the first mark, where A+E narrowly led EJ, Shiny, Bananas, Ronin in that order. A dodgy hoist, and subsequent capsize at the top mark paid for Ronin, who recovered quickly and hit left on the downwind taking some substantial distance from EJ and Shiny who had some drama at the leeward mark - EJ narrowly avoided Shiny in a capsize on the mark rounding, and Ronin crept past the two, gaining on Green Bananas and A+E (now very firmly lowriding) using a similar big shift to the left that had occurred in the previous race. at the top mark, the wind died with Ronin and Green Bananas together, A+E a little way behind in third, and a big gap to EJ. Probably bargaining on race 5 being abandoned, Shiny prematurely retired, only for the breeze to fill in slightly for the final race.

Race 5:
Only 3 boats on the line for this one, Nick having called it a day after the light finish to race 4, and Ronin had secured first overall with 1, 1, 2, 1 on the scoreboard (after taking into account Green bananas retirement from all races). This didn't stop Johnny and Alex having a fantastic race though, with plenty of foiling on both runs including a couple of foiling gybes in no more than 10kts wind, leading them to a commanding win. Ronin also a little way ahead of EJ who struggled a bit on the first downwind, I think capsizing on the gybe.

Apologies, since my memory of the racing is pretty hazy at this point! but I'm pretty sure that full results are more like:

Ronin 1st, 5pts (Rosie&Robin) - 1, 1, (2), 1, 2
A+E 2nd, 6pts (Johnny&Alex) - (3), 2, 1, 2, 1
EJ 3rd, 13pts (Jay&Guy) - (4), 3, 4, 3, 3
Shiny, 14pts (Jamie&Rowan) - 2, 4, 3, (5ret), 5dns
Bananas, 20pts (Nick&Andy) - Retired from all due to use of 12 foot skiff rig

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!